In my last post I wrote about recording some of my e-published stories. Here’s my progress and what I think I’ve learned.
I got the microphone and set it up (which really just meant making sure that plug-and-play had the right settings). I downloaded the recording software. (Audacity). I purchased the e-book of a fellow Smashwords author on how to go about recording something.
As recommended in the e-book, I tried a test.
Now, this clearly isn’t ready to go, yet. I need to work on my technique a bit. I probably want to find some music or, well, for this story I’m considering bird songs for occasional background and markers between scenes. I think it’d be appropriate.
But this recording gave me some new ideas, too. I’ve tried reading my stories out loud before, which is often recommended. All I got was a sore throat. You see, I hear my stories in my head when I’m writing them, so reading it out loud didn’t really add anything to me.
Until I listened to this recording. I hear things in the recording that I didn’t hear just reading it out loud and my fingers itched to make a couple of revisions. Now that I’ve got everything set up, I think this is definitely something I’ll be trying with my writing.
Gotta love serendipity.