Since I was a day late earlier in the week, I suppose I should make up for it by posting a day early.
It’s time to decide on my writing goals for 2017.
- Publish BECOME: TO CATCH THE LIGHTNING. This means:
- Finish the first draft.
- Figure out how many books there actually are in this series and where the break points are.
- Let it rest for about a month.
- Run through a couple of revisions.
- Get it critiqued.
- Another round of revisions.
- Polishing edit.
- Format for publication.
- That first goal may be close to enough. But I also want to get restarted on the rewrite of MAGE STORM. (No cover, yet, though I have a couple of ideas.)
- I doubt very much that there’ll be a lot of writing time left over. But that doesn’t mean I won’t be jotting down ideas on some of the other stories I have simmering on the back burners.
- MAGIC AND POWER: Another story in the same world as DAUGHTER OF THE DISGRACED KING, but centering on another set of protagonists. (MAGIC AND POWER might end up being the series title.)
- A couple of fairy-tale retellings buzzing around the back of my mind. One of them might end up in the MAGIC AND POWER world.
- My weird Oz story is always out there. I actually wrote about ten chapters of it, but it wasn’t working. Partly because I’d left my protagonist completely alone for too long. I need to figure out how to give her an unhelpful, but talkative sidekick that will fit in this more dangerous version of Oz.
- The prequels to the DUAL MAGICS series, though I don’t think I’m quite ready to go back to that world yet.
- Someday, I’m going to have to go back and write the third book in the Chimeria series. That is a fun world to play in.
- Get better at marketing. The only way that’s going to happen is if I make a plan and devote some attention to it at least every month, not just around book launches. It’s just not nearly as much fun as writing. But it has to be done.