When I look ahead, I’m feeling a little scattered, so it’s time to lay out a plan again.
- “Heart of Oak” is out. I’ve made four sales so far–two on Amazon and two on Smashwords. Not exactly setting the world on fire, but then I haven’t done very much to try to promote it, either. Actually, “Heart of Oak” is likely to be part of the promotion when I eventually get BLOOD WILL TELL out.
- “Becoming Lioness” is another novelette, currently out on submission. I should be hearing in the next week or so. If it comes back, it’ll be my next e-publishing venture.
- “The Music Box” is a novella I had shelved because it’s really much more romance than fantasy. The speculative element is very slight and, in fact, you could remove it altogether and the story wouldn’t be noticeably changed. But I’ve always liked it anyway, so I keep coming back to it. So, I’m halfway through a revision right now. I’ll probably try to get a critique or two. Then I’ll either submit it to the same market that has “Becoming Lioness” now or just e-pub it.
- All this leads up to e-publishing BLOOD WILL TELL probably at the end of April or the beginning of May. It’s ready to go except for the specific e-publishing formatting, but that’ll be more complicated than for the shorter works. One or more of the shorter works published in advance of this will probably then be used as giveaways to help pomote the novel.
- I’ll need to make the revisions to BLOOD IS THICKER, the sequel to BLOOD WILL TELL, so I can e-publish this sometime later this year.
- Then I’ll have to write the third book in the series BLOOD STAINS, so that I can e-publish it no later than this time next year.
I haven’t given up on this.
- I’m still querying MAGE STORM, at least until I get FIRE AND EARTH (formerly SEVEN STARS) ready to query.
- I need to finish up the last little details to get FIRE AND EARTH ready to start querying, probably next month. I think the query’s good–for this pass anyway. Experience tells me I’ll probably do a revision or two during the querying process. I do need to polish up the synopsis. I’ve got some feedback coming in on the first chapter. I’ll need to give that a shine and also make one more pass through the whole thing before starting to query.
- MAGIC’S FOOL is out for critiques now. I’ll need to make revisions to that, too, when all the critiques come back.
- I’ve started work on MAGIC’S APPRENTICE, sequel to MAGIC’S FOOL, but I’ll probably be setting this aside, soon. It really doesn’t make much sense to devote a lot of time to the sequel before I even start querying the first book.
- I’m just about ready to start work on the first draft of THE BARD’S GIFT, my young adult alternate history (with dragons).
All right. No wonder I’m feeling a little scattered, is it? Now all I have to do is prioritize. For the moment:
- Finish the revision to “The Music Box” and decide what to do with it.
- Get ready to query FIRE AND EARTH.
- Start THE BARD’S GIFT.
- Revisions to MAGIC’S FOOL.
- Prepare BLOOD WILL TELL for e-publishing.
That ought to keep me busy for the next couple of months.